We often hear about evening primrose oil (EPO) product. But what's actually the ingredient in it. The main ingredient in EPO is GLA.
What is GLA?
GLA or gamma linoleic acid is mainly found in vegetable source oil such as borrage seed oil , black currant seed oil and evening primrose seed oil. GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid which are considered essential fatty acids: Human body can't produce them-- but they are essential for health so we get them through food.
Along with omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development, help to stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism and maintain reproductive system.
A balance in counsuming omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids is what's needed in a healthy diet. Many doctors in the USA blame the high rate of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids for the cases of inflammatory in the society. (The typical American diet tends to contain 14 - 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids). BUT not all omega-6 fatty acids behave the same. Linoleic acid and arachidonic acid (AA) tend to be unhealthy because they promote inflammation. GLA, on the other hand, may actually reduce inflammation.
Uses of GLA?
Some preliminary clinical study suggests that GLA MAY BE (take notes of the phrase-) useful for the following conditions:
- Diabetic neuropathy (uses of 6 month of GLA)
- Rheumatoid arthritis- it may take 1 - 3 months to see any benefit
- Allergies -remember to take advise from your dostoc before taking GLA if
- ADHD children (Attention defisit/hyperactivity disorder)
- Breast canser
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Menopausal symptoms
- Mastalgia (breast pain)
- PMS (premenstrual syndrome)
Do not take GLA if :
- you have a seizure disorder.
- you plan to have surgery requiring anesthesia (stop 2 weeks ahead)
- you are pregnant- may harm the fetus and induce early labor.
- you are at risk or have prostate cancer.
So, where do i get this supplement ya.. Shaklee offer u... GLA shaklee. Wait for next entry for it..